We always want you to be comfortable in our Orem dentist office. Sometimes called, “laughing Gas”, Nitrous Oxide is a safe and proven treatment and has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous Oxide is a sweet smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which is administered through with an inhaler over the nose. Patients receiving Nitrous Oxide may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep not remembering everything that happened during their procedure.
There are many advantages to using nitrous oxide
- Levels can be altered at any time to increase or decrease effects
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”
- Inhalation is safe with no side effects to the heart or lungs
- It is very effective in minimizing gagging
- It works rapidly, reaching the brain within 20 seconds
- In two to three minutes pain-killing properties develop
Though there are no major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may decide against it if you have Emphysema, chest problems, Multiple Sclerosis, a cold, or other difficulties with breathing. You can ask Dr. Swenson for a five-minute trial to see how you respond to Nitrous Oxide before proceeding.